Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Crawfish Enchiladas

When I took Davis to the vet last week, I took him to a clinic in Columbia, Louisiana.  Columbia is about 30 miles north of our house.  It's on the southwest bank of the Ouachita River and is the parish seat of Caldwell Parish.  It was founded in 1827, and became a docking place for the steamboats that traveled up and down the river.

While Davis was receiving his treatment, I went to look for a restaurant.  I was happy to find a Mexican restaurant there; I had been wondering what I would do for Mexican food in the piney woods of Louisiana. There was something on the menu that I'm sure you'd only find here....Crawfish enchiladas.  Of course I had to try them.  They were regular enchiladas, but with crawfish(!), served with the usual refried beans, rice, guacamole and sour cream.  I was happy to learn that the owners of the restaurant were about to open a second one in Olla, only 4 miles from us.  Mom and I are going to there for lunch tomorrow.

After lunch, I took a walk beside the river and around some of the streets.  Unlike many small towns, this one has an active downtown.  Here are some of the things I saw.
Ouachita River bridge 

The steamboat dock is visible right in front of the American flag.
Standing on the dock.
The Louisiana Artists Museum (green awning on the right) is in the historic Schepis Building
on Main Street.  The building  is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.  
At this site the First United Methodist Church in Columbia dates to 1838.
The current building was constructed in 1911. (Photo by By Billy Hathorn )









1 comment:

  1. Interesting. You see things that I would miss or notice and forget. The church structure is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete