Saturday, April 23, 2016

Flower Garden and Other Things

I've been spending some time working doing yard work.  Several of the vegetable plants are starting to get blooms and the flowers are coming along nicely.  Here are some flowers that are blooming now.  Some we planted and some are wild.

Lemon blossoms smell heavenly

If anyone knows what this wildflower is, please let me know.  It was growing in the cemetery near the grave of my great grandfather and I brought it home and planted it in the flower bed.
This is a closeup, it's very small.
About 25 years ago I had a dream that I saw a white calla lily
and at the place where it was, there was a man who could
tell me something profound.  I've never seen a white calla lily 
until I found this one in a nursery in Grayson, La.  The man
there didn't impart any wisdom to me, though.  Here it is with
some spider-wort I transplanted.

Red Yarrow

Butterfly Weed
Mixed flowers

Golden Petunia
Another yellow Petunia, all the flowers on this plant have this interesting pattern.

Blue Pincushion 
Pelargonium Crispum - it might have a common name.
Supposed to repel mosquitoes

Mom's roses are glorious
More of Mom's roses


Primroses and DYC with crawdad hole
Primroses and DYC with bee
Wild Crossvine
Daisy Flea-bane

Bromeliad - the original plant was given to me for my birthday 12 years ago by my dear friend, Karen Heikkala.  This is the first time it's bloomed since then.
The animals aren't much help with the gardening.

Here's Pancake relaxing in the roses

In other news, last Sunday I took a drive in the country and saw a couple of interesting things.
 This  abandoned "dogtrot" house is a style of house that was common throughout the Southeastern United States during the 19th and early 20th centuries.  It's open in the the middle, with the rooms on either side.
 This was a way to stay cool before fans or air conditioning.
Down at the end of a muddy road was a trailer, and in the yard was this unique dog house.
If you look closely, you can see an old hound dog's nose peeking out.

 That's the report from here in Urania.  So long until next time.

1 comment:

  1. As the planet warms, we may have to start looking at some of those old ways to keep the house cooler. A house with a breezeway was still special in the 1950s, just before we started getting those old window air conditioners. The sleeping porch was another way to survive the summer.

    Love the flowers. Makes me think I need to get out of the house and see what's growing in my neighborhood. :)

    ReplyDelete