Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Around the House

Just a few pictures from around the house.

My favorite of Mom's roses.
This is my bedroom. Mom made the quilt. 


The doily was crocheted by my great grandmother. The picture on the bottom was painted by Elana Conner and the one to the right of that was painted by her dad, Steve Conner.  The plaque on the upper right has a quote by MLK.  It says, "“Forces that threaten to negate life must be challenged by courage, which is the power of life to affirm itself in spite of life’s ambiguities. This requires the exercise of a creative will that enables us to hew out a stone of hope from a mountain of despair.”

Looking out my window

My grandmother made hundreds of ceramic pieces in her lifetime.  Below are some that I particularly love.  The Blue Jay, of course, since that is my totem.

After she got Alzheimer's, her daughters got her the two pitchers to paint, hoping that it would stimulate her mind.  Instead of the detail that she'd used before, though, she just painted them both blue. I think they are beautiful.


This vegetable basket is more representative of her work.  
Mamaw also had a sense of humor.  She painted the funny
little man, but not the pitcher.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  This magnolia blossom was one of many that she made.  My daughter made the cross stitch version above it.







                                             
This little doll is no longer in our house.
It was a gift for my grandsons new baby
sister.  But isn't it cute???
Guest room. 


Sunlight and curtains


My dad spent a lot of my childhood working overseas.  This is one of the things he brought home from Saudi Arabia.





My daughter bought colorful dishes at thrifts stores and cut them into tiny tiles.  Then Mom used them to make a mosaic in the kitchen behind the range and the sink.



Another of Dad's overseas acquisitions.

So long till next time.

2 comments:

  1. I really have enjoyed looking at your family treasures. Love reading history of each piece! I look forward to more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderfully clever the women of your family are. Color, design, beauty. No wonder you have such a beautiful spirit. The kitchen back splash inspires awe--the imagination, the work, the shared effort. Of all your treasures, I think I would treasure it the most that two people so loved would put their hands together to make something so lovely. It's a ceramic version of a quilt, uniquely feminine, utilitarian but surrounding the mundane with beauty.

    ReplyDelete